Looking for a Friend


It's Make a Friend Day - a good time to think about our friends.

The kind of friend we are talking about here is deeper than someone you "met" on Facebook.

On that social media page, I've been asked to become friends with people who were in the same high school I was at the same time, but didn't talk to me then and we weren't friends.  So, do we become friends now?

And how does one acquire a friend?  The best advice I've heard on that front is that to have a friend you first need to be a friend.

But what kind of friend?

Acquaintance friend - sometimes we meet someone for a few moments and quickly find common ground and a fast but brief relationship.  I primarily think of fellow bikers I rode with on a cross state ride.  I might ride with them only a few hours and not cross paths again, but over those hours of riding side by side we shared thoughts and dreams and concerns.  There is a freedom in this friendship - the short term provides a freedom of worry what they might think and share more deeply than we might with folks we see every morning.

Childhood friends - those people we grew up with and know why we have certain nicknames and recall the days in our lives we might like to forget about.  They are also the folks you can start a conversation with even though it's been years since the last talk.

Work friends - might be the most transitory of our friends.  These are the people we spend more time with in a typical week than anyone else and have a relationship based on the shared experience in the work place.

Best friends - sometimes our best friends could be someone we've lost touch with, but can instantly recapture the closeness.

Most Trusted friends - can be found in many places and circumstances.  While I never served in the military, I suspect a friendship born in that situation leads to an everlasting bond.  I'm blessed with friends I trust and who know details of my life - and remain friends despite that knowledge.  A trusted friend is irreplaceable.

In Toy Story, we learned that Andy had a friend in Woody.  As you look for another friend today - also think of those important friends in your life and say thanks - think about the qualities you admire in the friends you have and live that for your new friends.

The timing of this "day," could have another motive behind it altogether, I suppose.  It can't hurt to gather some friends just before Valentine's Day... especially if you hope the wrapped in aluminum foil and ribbon and construction paper hearts shoe box gets more than one card asking you to "Bee Mine."

You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy you've got a friend in me
Yeah you've got a friend in me

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You got troubles and I got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together, we can see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me

Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too
Maybe
But none of them
Will ever love you the way I do
It's me and you boy

And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me 

Comments