Lazy Jane's Cafe

When a place calls itself Lazy Jane's Cafe... it peaks my interest more than a little bit.

Then, when Lazy Jane's Cafe shows up on a list of the 13 Best Pancakes in Madison, it got my full attention.

So, this past Saturday, there was a trip down Madison's Williamson Street, known to locals as Willy Street.

The cafe at 1358 Williamson Street, is in a former home near other diners and restaurants.  It's own stand-alone bakery and coffee place is just one house down.

Inside, the pastry display case is full of scones, morning rolls, and many delectable morning foods. 
Colorful chalkboards lay out the menu, but since reading about their special buttermilk pancake recipe I knew that was what I came to eat.

While a warmer day than most we've had, Hot Chocolate is always a comforting way to begin a Saturday, and I took my whipped cream topped swimming pool sized cup up the stairs to a table near a window where we could watch people passing below.
That table is where we started, but as I sat down I turned to the next table to see how things worked at Lazy Jane's.  Did we get waited on, or did we go downstairs to the counter?

"Downstairs," was the reply.  So, down we went to order and I received one of those remote controlled buzzing-light up pagers to let me know when I could get my food from the kitchen window.

Ah, I think I'm beginning to understand where the name comes from!

A few steps from the window was a station with silverware, napkins, butter, syrup, and other meal essentials.

It's really a neat part of the dining environment at Lazy Jane's, and gives the place very much a campus kind of feel.  We gathered around good food at good prices and it wasn't too much trouble to take care of some of the details ourselves.

The house/restaurant has seating on both floors and an opening in the center of the house that allows for the wonderful kitchen aroma to flow through the place.  It's a comfortable place to eat, chat, and catch up with friends.

The pancake?  As advertised!  The cakes are thicker than most and an extra touch of salt makes for hearty pancakes that gives a person the gumption to get up and take on the day.

My mistake was neglecting to order the Wisconsin Maple Syrup to go with it, so I made do with syrup that wasn't a complete match for the pancakes.  I will correct that error next time!

It's another place that is Madison... and another MadCity location where you won't leave hungry.

Comments