One Week...

July 25

One week until it's 'wheels-up' on the moving van and our two cars and a journey north to America's Dairyland.

There's a lot to get done between now and then, and thankfully my lovely wife is handling details and packing duty while I finish details and assignments here at work.  We have a great estimate from a moving company - just need to find temporary storage for some of our stuff and finalize timing on delivery of our household items.

Many are excited about the upcoming Olympic Games as am I.  Not usually a big fan to watch the opening ceremonies, but its a big event and worthy of a watch.  I've been blessed to get to know a couple of Olympians -  diver Thomas Finchum (2008) and runner Billy Mills (1964 - I believe) - and both are not just extraordinary athletes, but you can discern in even casual conversation that their minds and bodies are wired differently than mine.  They thrive on competition; pushing themselves to do better instead of merely good; and will work tirelessly to achieve their goals.

Just as many settle in to watch gymnastics and swimming competition - I'll watch those, mostly with my lovely wife, but I like to see the more obscure sports.  I'll never forget a visit to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and seeing the Badmitten Team in action - it was like hornets buzzing over the net - certainly not the backyard game I was familiar with!

I am amazed at the stamina of the water polo athletes - certainly wouldn't survive attempting to do that (maybe I'll talk more about that story another time) - and can even appreciate the synchronized swimmers (its athletic I know, just not sure its a sport).

Later during the games I'll look forward to some of the individual rivalries and how the story lines play out during the two week plus event.

You know, in the meantime - it's like having our mini-games in our apartment - the box obstacle course; the heave - lift - and sort; and the 'do I really need that' mental competition.   In that competition, I know who the winner is - that would be my lovely wife.

Today - please pray for rain and for those counting on the land to provide their livelihood.

I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit.
Leviticus 26:3-5  (www.Biblegateway.com)


Till next time.....

Comments